Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Evolution

Speaking of changes from my last post, here's a piece of design involving changes of Michael Jackson. This piece is a phenakistiscope created by Kelly Coats. A phenakistiscope is a toy that uses card wheels and a mirror to create an animation. I tried experimenting with phenakistiscopes for another project of mine, but I wasn't able to make them work for me. This one is designed really well though; using the contrast and outlines to really show how Michael developed through the years. The fact that the wheel starts small and ends up large is a testiment to his status as well as his age (I could be reading into it a little there though). Regardless it's a strong piece with a quirky concept. Seems fitting for such a legendary performer.

http://designyearbook.blogspot.com/2010/04/epic-thriller-by-kelly-coats.html

No comments:

Post a Comment